Wednesday, October 17, 2012

You Can Take the Girl Out of the City

For Rachel’s milestone birthday this year, she wanted to do something fun, memorable and totally Rachel.  This is the girl who is obsessed with Little House on the Prairie, and wants to live in a rural town in nowhere Vermont.  So it was only fitting that we went to a working dairy farm to celebrate her birthday.  Five city girls on the farm...  You can imagine what it was like  (or I can just show you!)
4 of them drove down from New York and I drove up and met them there.
I stopped in Baltimore on the way down there and the following conversation ensued.  I thought it was funny, so I’ll share it here:


So I took all of these back roads, in the dark and finally arrived at the farm.
Okay people, this was a real dairy farm.  It smelled like cows and it was in the middle of nowhere.  And I totally loved it!  Who knew, right?
It was a B&B so they fed us breakfast.  We got to drink milk from their farm.  It was so yummy!  Who cares that I’m lactose intolerant! Give me that milk!

We did lots of farm-y things like feed baby calves, milk cows, look for eggs, ride horses.   All in a days work!  

 







 Notice how this guy is chewing on my coat sleeve. Presh!




 This was a pony named Frankie.  We didn't ride him.  I just thought he was cute.


Amber with her horse Dolly in the Background.

 Me, with my little horse, Goldie.  


We also had the best soft pretzel ever created. It was possibly one of the best things I’ve ever tried.  Those Amish know how to make a goood soft pretzel.  

Then we went to dinner at the Stoltzfus Family Farm.  It was a family style restaurant, where you paid a set price and they just feed you family style.  



We ate all sorts of stuff {that I would have never ordered otherwise- I’m looking at you hamloaf}  and it was so filling. 


 And of course we got dessert.  We claimed that we only wanted to try “a bite”of a couple different desserts. 
Six empty dessert plates later.....

The next day was Sunday, which meant everything was closed... That is, everything but this awesome Harvest Festival we found.  They had it on the grounds of a museum, so there were workers and volunteers there dressed all old-timey.  There was music (lots of fiddles and bluegrassy kind of stuff) wagon rides, demonstrations,cider, applebutter, peanuts and popcorn, crafts, and gardens.  It was such a lovely time!  Pennsylvanians like to party how I like to party!  









 It was so great spending time with my friends, especially in an environment that we are SO not used to!  Happy Birthday Rachel!  Thanks for being born.  And thanks for having an awesome birthday weekend!
 
Moo.

PS- I do realize the irony that I'm actually from a small town in the middle of nowhere and consider myself such a city girl.

1 comment: